Sunday, October 28, 2012

Comprehension in the Classroom

The article "What every teacher needs to know about comprehension" gave me a lot of a great tips for aiding comprehension in my students. Some tips include teaching decoding skills, help build fluency,  help activate prior knowledge, build vocabulary, motivate students, and encourage students to personally respond to the text. I felt that these tips were extremely helpful and made me realize how many factors contribute to a child's comprehension. Pardo also explained how important a student's use of schema, or grouping of ideas, is to their comprehension. The use of schema helps students gain fluency and read through texts quickly so they are able to focus more on the ideas and thoughts behind the words rather than the words themselves. 
What are some tools or activities that can promote reading comprehension?
Do you ever feel as though you are not comprehending the text you're reading? If so, how do you ensure that you are understanding it?

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the information that you found so helpful. I think some tools that can promote understanding are providing graphic organizers that struggling students can fill out as they are reading to keep them engaged and provide scaffolding. I know that when I feel that I am just looking at words and not comprehending, I will stop and then go back to the last place in the text that I remember and begin again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually did not choose to read this article as one of my readings this week. I noticed that in the book, Classrooms That Work, talked about breaking down comprehension as well to help students learn how to understand the text but Cunningham and Allington gave different ways to help students. Some things were questioning the author, using prediction, and using open-ended questions. I think that the beach ball activity was an awesome back to bring interaction into learning about comprehension. With this, something is wrote on each segment of the ball that relates to the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the photo. Thanks for sharing. Questioning is an important comprehension strategy.

    I agree with Landon, I often have to reread when I am not understanding. Also, I find having a discussion with someone really helps my comprehension.

    ReplyDelete