Sunday, October 7, 2012

Making Words

Making Words is a fast-paced game that incorporates guided invented spelling. Studies have shown that invented spelling plays a crucial role in students' reading, writing, and spelling acquisition. However, it's more important that a student's invented spelling is guided because without instruction it doesn't promote phonemic awareness. I think that this activity is an excellent way to get kids excited about spelling and could see myself using this in my future classroom. While the article was very thorough and detailed, I had a difficult time putting each step together and imagining how the lesson would play out. I found a short video that helped bring the article to life.


Will you practice the Making Words activity in your future classroom?
Is there anything about Making Words that you would alter?

1 comment:

  1. I think that a making words lesson is definitely something that I will use in my classroom. Phonemic awareness and correct spelling are two very important tools to the future success of students. I agree with you that the written lesson plan is very confusing, and I like that your video does a great job clarifying! The only alterations I would make is to make it more and more interesting as the school year progresses so the students do not get bored.

    ReplyDelete